You may have noticed that I love to sew and create things. For years I have been thinking about selling patterns of some of my designs. I have a whole list of patterns that I plan to create. It’s just a matter of finding the time (preferably in longer than 10 minute intervals) to write them all up.
Of course I know all about selling on Etsy, but Craftsy is new to me and is different. I am really excited to tell you why!
Perks of Selling PDF Patterns
For craft businesses where you make and send a finished product (like I do), the more your business grows, the more work you have to do. At some point you will run out of time. You will either have to recruit help or stop growing.
While making an original pattern takes some work upfront, once it is made there aren’t any limits to how much money you can make from it. It takes no additional work. No packaging or shipping. It becomes passive income!
Selling on Craftsy
If you’ve heard of Craftsy, then you know they have a wonderful selection of online craft classes where you can learn skills from cake decorating to knitting. They also have an independent online pattern store where anyone can upload and sell their original patterns for others to buy and download.
The best part about selling patterns on Craftsy is that it is FREE! No listing fees. No commissions. Besides the small fee for accepting payments using PayPal, you get to keep the rest of the selling price (which of course you set yourself).
The process is simple!
1. Make sure your PayPal account can receive payments. If you have a student, premier, or business account (all of which are free), you are set!
2. Make your pattern a PDF. Of course you can create your pattern in a Word document or another program, just be sure you convert it to a .pdf when you’re done. Only .pdf format can be uploaded into the online pattern store.
3. Include a great photo. All patterns need at least one listing photo, but can have up to five. A fabulous photo will sell your pattern.
4. Complete the pattern description. Craftsy will have a form for you to fill out with the details about your pattern. Have information on materials, sizes, measurements, etc. available so potential buyers can find your patterns!
Head on over to Craftsy, sign-up, and take a look around. Then start pondering what e-pattern you are going to create and then get busy!
I will keep you updated on my progress in getting all these patterns out of my head and into PDFs so I can sell patterns on Craftsy too!
Some links in this post are affiliate links which means I will be compensated if you purchase or sign up after clicking these links. Of course I wouldn’t share anything with you if I didn’t think it was great. You can see my disclosure policy here.
SMASH DEBT 7-DAY FREE ECOURSE
Want to get out of debt, but don't know where to start?
This is just what you need!
In this FREE course, you'll get:
- 7-step method we used to pay off $100,000 of debt
- 7 days of emails with clear action steps
- 3 useful printables to organize your plan