Homemade brownie mix in a mason jar is a fast, easy, and inexpensive gift. Plus the fudgy brownies are delicious!
Brownie mix in a jar is a great neighbor gift, teacher gift, or hostess gift. Mixes in mason jars are quick to make, especially when you do them assembly line style. I love gifts like this that are consumable and don’t create clutter.
Brownie mix in a jar is a gift that children can help make too! Your kids will love being able to give their teachers a useful, delicious gift that they made themselves!
I have a quick video below that will show you exactly how to make brownie mix in a jar along with tips to make your gift in a jar turn out beautiful. Or you can keep scrolling for the details along with a printable recipe (for you) and printable tags (for the recipient).
Tips for layering brownie mix in a canning jar
- This recipe is for a QUART mason jar.
- The funnel that I use for canning works great to make sure everything gets into the jar without a mess.
- Adding the ingredients in the order listed works best. The chocolate chips need to be on the top, otherwise they will be buried and hidden. The cocoa gets on the side of the jar, so it’s a good candidate for going near the top.
- Shake each layer down so it’s flat before adding the next layer. For brown sugar, you’ll want to use a spoon.
- If you prefer brownies without nuts, leave them out and fill their space with more chocolate chips.
Homemade Fudgy Brownie Mix
- 1 cups + 2 Tablespoon flour
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 2/3 cups sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/3 cup cocoa
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
Instructions for Using Homemade Brownie Mix
Mix contents of jar with:
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cups water
- 2/3 cup oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
Pour into a greased 9″ square pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 35-40 minutes or until an inserted knife comes out clean. Cool and enjoy!
Printable Recipe and Instructions for Making Brownie Mix in a Jar
- 1 cup + 2 Tablespoons flour
- ⅔ cup packed brown sugar
- ⅔ cup sugar
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ⅓ cups cocoa
- ½ cups chocolate chips
- ½ cups chopped walnuts (optional)
- Add ingredients to a 1 quart canning jar (or quart-size zip-top plastic bag) in the order listed.
- Include the following instructions for using the mix:
- Mix contents of jar with: 2 eggs, ¼ c. water, ⅔ c. oil, 1 t. vanilla
- Pour into a greased 9″ square pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 35-40 minutes or until an inserted knife comes out clean. Cool and enjoy!
Click here to see the rest of the series Frugal Festivities: 25 Days of Christmas Cheer on a Budget series
Originally published 30 May 2014 but updated to be included in the Frugal Festivities series.
Next in the series: