Much of SixFiguresUnder.com is filled with ways to save money so that you can pay off debt and reach your financial goals.
Increasing your income is another big part of making financial progress. I want to share with you a quick list of ways that you can earn extra money. If you are trying to get out of debt or have a tight budget, earning extra, even if it’s just a little, can really help.
First I’ll share some ways to earn extra income online and then I’ll talk about some great options to earn money offline.
- VIPKid– If you have high-speed internet and a webcam then teaching English online might be perfect for you. You can earn up to $22/hr teaching English to Chinese children via the internet. I wrote a whole post on VIPKid and how it works.
- Education First– You can make up to $16/hr teaching with a US company that has been around for 50+ years. You need a bachelor’s degree from a US or UK school and need some teaching even if it’s casual.
- Qkids– Qkids is an online English teaching company from China. They require an degree from an English or Canadian University and experience teaching/working with kids. You can make up to $20/hr.
- MyPoints– I joined MyPoints like a million years ago (well 1999 to be exact). You can shop through them to get points, but mostly I just get points by clicking through on emails. I usually let the emails build up, then click through all my MyPoints Bonus Mails a few times a month. The points add up over time and you can get some great gift cards.
- Springboard America– Taking surveys is not a great way to get rich quick, but if you can do surveys when you’re watching TV or on the train, your efforts will eventually add up. To sign up you’ll answer some questions about yourself, then enter your name and emails. Be sure to click the confirmation that comes to your email so you’ll be eligible to start getting surveys.
- Opinion Outpost – Another popular survey company. How many surveys you qualify for will depend on your demographic. If you have some down time where you can answer questions, then it may be worth a try for you.
- Swagbucks– I used to not like Swagbucks, but then it turns out to be another great way to earn gift cards. You can read more about it here.
- Open Capital One 360 Checking or Savings Accounts. I have had a Capital One 360 account since 2004, back when they were ING Direct. I love having a completely online account. You get $25 for signing up a new checking account and another $25 for signing up for a savings account (both need an initial deposit of $250+)!
- Start a blog (on a budget)– Let me be clear, a blog is not a quick way to earn money. It take a big investment of time before you’ll see a profit, but if you are passionate about what you blog about, then you can stick with it long enought to make a great income!
Selling Your Stuff
There are lots of ways to make money selling your stuff. Whether it’s stuff sitting around your house, things you grow, or crafts you create, there is a market for what you have. Here are some ideas to get your wheels spinning.
- Have a yard sale
- Have a fruit/vegetable stand– Sell excess garden produce
- Have a bake sale
- Sell on a local Facebook group– Great for used things and for handmade items.
- Sell on Craigslist– Perfect if you don’t want to deal with shipping.
- Participate in a craft fair
- Sell on ebay or Amazon
- Sell on Etsy— (Earning on Etsy series Part 1, Part 2, Part 3, Part 4, Part 5)
- Sell Patterns on Bluprint
- Donate plasma
Selling Your Services
- Babysit or nanny– If you’re home with your own kids, add another to the mix.
- Pet sit– If you’re an animal person, this would be great
- House cleaning
- Office cleaning
- Lawn care– Mowing, weeding, etc.
- Web design
- Freelance writing
- Party planning
- Participate in studies– Local universities have all kinds of studies going on all the time.
- Rent out your extra space– With Airbnb you’ll have a great market for people looking for overnight options in your area. (PS- You’ll get $25 of Airbnb credit when you sign up with my link.)
(Note: This post contains my referral link. For more information, see my disclosure policy. Thanks for supporting this site.)
Let's Do This Together!
We're banding together to pay off some serious debt in 2019! We want you to join in the debt-smashing fun!
When you subscribe, you'll get monthly reminders to report your progress and you'll see how we're doing as a group!
You'll also receive frugal inspiration and financial motivation in your inbox to help you along the way!
Are you ready to smash debt with us?!