After having a no-spend month with a pantry challenge in February, we were eager to do our March grocery shopping, so eager that I even went on a Saturday.
We went to Winco, Sam’s Club, and Sprouts and spent nearly $300. We will grab a few things later in the month (I just got 6 jars of jam at Walmart today), but this is basically it. Well, all this and what we have in the pantry, freezer, and food storage.
After filming my grocery haul, I promptly lost my Winco receipt. After delaying this post to look for it, I finally gave up. I took some pictures and video as I shopped and I have a pretty good memory for prices, so I’ve reconstructed it as well as possible, but I didn’t have all of the weights for produce and bulk foods. The store total, at least is accurate.
If you’ve seen my grocery hauls before, you know that I don’t create a grocery list from a menu plan. I mostly cook from scratch from ingredients in my pantry and food storage, so I just shop for what we’re low on.
I stuck pretty well to the list I showed you here:
As usual, you can watch/listen to our grocery haul, or just scan the list below!
So sorry that I lost my receipt before getting this typed up. I did the best I could!
- Bread $1.68 x 3 = $5.04
- Baby carrots (2lb) $1.88 x 2 = $3.76
- Graham crackers $1.67 x 4 = $6.68
- Raisins $2.68/lb x?
- Parmesan cheese $4.65/lb
- Steel cut oats $.63/lb x ?
- Dried apricots $2.48/lb x ?
- Homestyle noodles $1.86/lb
- Sea salt $.42/lb x ?
- Spaghetti sauce $.77 x 8 = $6.16
- Navel oranges $.68/lb x ?
- Pears $.78/lb x ?
- Roma tomatoes $.98/lb x ?
- Apples $.98/lb x ?
- Pears $.78/lb x ?
- Yams $.98/lb x ?
- Grapefruit $.78 ea x 7 = $5.46
- Cucumber $.50 x 4 = $2
- Potatoes (10 lb) $2.68 x 2 = $5.36
- Yellow onion 3 lb $1.50
- Rolled Oats (25 lb bag) $15
- Cream of wheat $1.24
- Canola Oil (1 Gal) $6 x 2 = $12
- Elbow macaroni (3 lb) $2.71
- Pasta $.93 x 4 = $3.72
- Pan spray $2
- Ketchup $1.50
- Flour (10 lb)
- Flour (5 lb)
- Brownie Mix $.98 x 2 = $1.96
- Rice Crispies
- Corn Tortillas
- Tortilla chips $3.50
- Pretzels (20 oz) $1.88 x 2 = $3.76
- Flour tortillas $2.67 x 4 = $10.68
Sam’s Club– $113.80
- Sour Cream (5 lb) $6.98
- Skim Milk $2 x 2 = $4.00
- Ice Cream (5 qt) $5.48
- Spring Mix (1 lb) $3.56
- Spinach (1 lb) $3.35 x 2 = $6.70
- Shredded Cheese (5 lb) $9.64 x 2 = $19.28
- Bananas (3 lb $1.23 x 6 = $7.38
- Cream Cheese (6- 8oz bricks) $7.87
- Cottage Cheese (5 lb) $6.48
- Clementines (5 lb) $4.7
- Butter (4 lb) $10.89
- Romaine $2.54
- Peanut Butter (2 x 40oz) $6.98 x 4 = $27.92
- Blood Oranges 1.5 lb @ $1.48/lb = $2.23
- Fuji Apples 4.4 lb @ $.98/lb = $4.31
- Grapes 2.69 lb @ $1.48/lb = $3.98
- Avocados 6 @ 3/$1 = $2.00
For those who are wondering what sort of things we eat on a regular basis, you can see a typical month’s meals right here.
Next up will be February’s Debt Smashathon Update! It’s a good one– a BIG one. Yep, even bigger than January’s report! I can’t wait to share!!
Want to Lower Your Grocery Budget?
I'm sharing my secrets to rocking a low grocery budget!
Learn how to reduce your grocery budget in a way that works best for you!
When you subscribe to Six Figures Under you'll get frugal inspiration and financial motivation in your inbox, starting with the Grocery Budget Crash Course!
What are you waiting for? Start saving money today!
Hi, I am new to your blog, how do you keep fruit fresh for a month? I can maybe see you doing that with the apples and oranges but bananas, Roma tomatos, avocados?
Hi Angela! That’s a great question. I have a video all about it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGGiQtXfMHA
A big part of it is the order we eat things. We eat the things that spoil more quickly early in the month and save the heartier produce for later in the month.