We started out the month of October with a pretty standard grocery haul for our family. I plan my grocery shopping a little different than many people. I don’t shop according to specific recipes I plan to cook in a month. We cook our food from scratch using standard ingredients that we keep in our fridge, freezer, and pantry. While there are some things we get every month without fail (like milk), there are other ingredients we buy every other month or every few months.
Before I go grocery shopping I do a quick inventory of what we have and what we’ll need in the next month. That’s how I make my grocery list. If there are new recipes I want to try or freezer meals I’m planning to make that call for ingredients that aren’t our normal pantry staples, we add those ingredients to the shopping list.
As usual, you can either watch or listen to me go through everything we bought in the quick video below, or you can just check out the items and complete price list below the video.
Winco Grocery Haul– $94
- Frozen Berries (32 oz) $3.78 x 2 = $7.56
- Frozen Peas (32 oz) $2.24
- Frozen Broccoli (32 oz ) $2.24 x 2 $4.48
- Potatoes (10 lb) $2.78
- Flour Tortillas $2.79 x 3 = $8.37
- Onion powder $4.88/lb x .2 lb = $.98
- Oregano $4.70/lb x .14 = $.66
- Onion powder $4.35 x .11 = $.48
- Bell Peppers $.58 x 4 = $2.32
- Cream of Wheat $1.45/lb x 5.98 lb = $8.67
- Raisins $2.60/lb x 2.3 lb = $5.98
- Roma Tomatoes $.98/lb x 4.16 = $4.08
- Navel Oranges (3 lb) $2.98
- Pan spray $1.78
- Canola Oil (128 oz) $6.68
- Whole Wheat Bread $1.78 x 15 = $26.70
- Onions (3 lb) $.98
- Pumpkin $.28/lb x 11 lb = $3.10
- Brownie mix $.98 x 6 = $5.88
- Pudding Snack Packs $.88 x 2 = $1.76
Sam’s Club Grocery Haul– $156
- String Cheese (48 ct) $10.48
- Sour Cream (3 lb) $4.42
- Cottage Cheese (3 lb) $4.98
- Milk $2.29 x 4 = $9.16
- Butter (4 lb) $10.89 x 2 = $21.78
- Granola Bars (48 ct) $10.62
- Bananas (3 lb) $1.23 x 3 = $4.92
- Apples (5 lb) $4.15 x 2 = $8.30
- Spinach (16 oz) $3.28
- Spring Mix (16 oz) $3.28
- White Flour (25 lb) $6.48 x 2 = $12.96
- White Sugar (10 lb) $4.76 x 4 = $19.04
- Elbow Macaroni (6 lb) $4.98
- Peanut Butter (2 x 40 oz) $6.98 x 3 = $20.94
- Strawberry Jam (2 x 36 oz) $5.48 x 3 = $16.44
We spent about $250, which is on the low side for a monthly grocery shopping trip. The other $150-$200 of our grocery budget will be spent later in the month for quick (random) trips to Grocery Outlet to find great deals, trips to grab milk and produce, and maybe grab pizza sometime.
You’ll probably notice there isn’t any meat in this haul. We do eat meat, just not tons of it. We have plenty of meat in the freezer right now, so I didn’t get any on this shopping trip.
If you have any questions about how we handle grocery shopping or our food budget, I am happy to answer them in the comments or even make a video on the topic. Just let me know in the comments.