After years of questions about how we feed out family on such a small grocery budget, I started sharing our family’s monthly grocery hauls.
I do my grocery shopping a little different than a lot of people. I don’t shop from a menu. I generally don’t shop from sales flyers. I don’t shop frequently. I just shop for ingredients that we’re lacking. That means I don’t buy everything every month.
Also, while this is our main monthly grocery shopping trip, I will make a few smaller trips throughout the month for things like milk and produce and great deals I find. If we grab pizza or any other form of eating out, it usually comes from this same budget too.
In August we wanted to get some freezer meals made, so on the way to the grocery store we planned a freezer meal session. I printed out a stack of recipes and my daughter read through them and helped me compile a list as I drove! Not very organized, but it worked!
July’s Grocery Haul
As usual, you can watch/listen to our grocery haul, or just scan the list below!
UPick Farm Produce Haul– $32
As you can see in the picture we got tomatoes, zucchini, butternut squash, spaghetti squash, lemon cucumbers, bell peppers, jalapenos, Armenian cucumbers, cantaloups, and watermelons.
When you arrive at the farm, they weigh your vehicle and check how many people you have with you. They direct you to the fields that are open for picking and let you help yourself. Some of the produce like the squahes and melons are pre-picked and readily available in big produce bins. Everything else you pick yourself.
On your weigh out they weigh your vehicle again to find the difference. You pay $.30 per pound with a $30 (100 lb) minimum. We just barely squeaked by above the minimum at 105 lb, which was exactly what we were aiming for since we were leaving town a few days later and wouldn’t have time to do much canning and freezing before we left.
Winco Haul– $118
- Fresh pineapple $1.98
- Penne pasta (16 oz) $.78 x 4 = $3.12
- Potatoes (10 lb) $2.48
- Bowtie pasta (16 oz) $.88 x 2 = $1.76
- Chow mein noodles $1.56 x 2 = $3.12
- Frozen corn (16 oz) $1.11 x 4 = $4.44
- Frozen berries (16 oz) $1.88 x 2 = $3.76
- Hashbrowns (16 oz) $1.06 x 2 = $2.12
- Steak fries (16 oz) $1.06
- Frozen whole green beans (16 oz) $1.37
- Frozen French cut green beans (16 oz) $1.11 x 2 = $2.22
- Yams $.88/lb x 5.18 lb = $4.56
- Limes $.20 x 5 + $1.00
- Refried beans $.88 x 4 = $3.52
- Tomato sauce (29 oz) $.98 x 4 = $3.92
- Tomato paste (15 oz) $.77 x 2 = $1.54
- Diced tomatoes (15 oz) $.58 x 12 = $6.96
- Spaghetti sauce (24 oz) $.88 x 6 = $5.28
- Salsa (16 oz) $1.48 x 2 = $2.96
- Salsa verde (16 oz) $1.48
- Cream of chicken soup (26 oz) $1.28 x 2 = $2.56
- Cream of mushroom soup (26 oz) $1.28 x 2 = $2.56
- Green chilis (4 oz) $.58 x 4 = $2.32
- Roma tomatoes $.98/lb x 4.82 = $4.72
- Onions (3 lb) $1.98
- Ginger root $2.78/lb x .12 lb =$.33
- Baby carrots (2 lb) $1.88
- Carrots (2 lb) $.88
- Celery $.78
- Small avocado $.88 x 2 = $1.76
- Kidney beans $.65 x 2 = $1.30
- Strawberries $1.48/lb x 2 = $2.96
- Dill $8.79/lb x .01 lb = $.09
- Red grapes $1.37/lb x 2.03 lb = $2.78
- Tortillas (35 oz) $2.79 x 3 = $8.37
- Bagels $1.98
- Whole wheat bread $1.78 x 12 = $21.36
Sam’s Club– $123
- Elbow macaroni (6 lbs) $4.98
- Shredded cheese (5 lbs) $11.74 x 2 = $23.48
- Ground beef ($2.33/lb) = $22.23
- Boneless skinless chicken breasts ($1.67/lb) = $10.54
- Boneless skinless chicken breasts ($1.67/lb) = $10.64
- Romaine $3.38
- Apples (5 lb) $4.98
- Peanut butter (2 x 40 oz) $6.98
- Cottage cheese (3 lb) $4.98
- Sour cream (3 lb) $4.42 x 2 = $8.82
- Bananas (3 lb) $1.23 x 3 = $3.69
- 2% Milk $2.39 x 3 = $7.17
- Cream cheese (48 oz) $7.87
- Spinach (16 oz) $3.28
So our total spending on monthly grocery shopping was $273. Since we budgeted $450 for groceries this month, that leaves $177 for mid-month shopping trips or eating out.
How about you?
- I would love to hear how your grocery shopping is different or similar!
- I would also love to hear what types of videos you’d like to see in the future.
Let's Do This Together!
We're banding together to pay off some serious debt in 2019! We want you to join in the debt-smashing fun!
When you subscribe, you'll get monthly reminders to report your progress and you'll see how we're doing as a group!
You'll also receive frugal inspiration and financial motivation in your inbox to help you along the way!
Are you ready to smash debt with us?!