You may have noticed that I neglected to make a grocery haul video for April, May, and June. We still bought groceries of course, but that was about as far as I got. Well, we ate them too. During the first trimester+ of pregnancy I am super tired and go to sleep really early, which means blogging and making videos drop off the radar.
Our grocery budget was nothing to brag about during those months. We bought things you normally don’t see in our grocery hauls, like frozen burritos and frozen pizzas. Here’s what we spent:
- April $528
- May $607
- June $375 (back to being in control!)
For reference, we normally set $400 as our food budget (groceries and eating out, if we do any of that) for our family of seven.
How I Grocery Shop
I do my grocery shopping a little different than a lot of people. I don’t shop from a menu. I don’t shop from sales flyers (except Sprouts). I don’t shop frequently.
I shop for ingredients that we’re lacking. That means I don’t buy everything every month. For example, in July’s monthly grocery haul you will see that I didn’t buy any pasta. We certainly eat pasta around here, but I am well-stocked on pasta, so I didn’t need any this month. We also do lots of baking, but I didn’t buy any baking supplies. That’s because we have plenty of flour, sugar, and other baking essentials.
Also, while this is our main monthly grocery shopping trip, I will make a few smaller trips throughout the month. We will need more milk and produce later in the month. I also like to stop by Grocery Outlet when I’m in the area to see what kind of awesome deals I can find and stock up on. A few days ago, for example, I found granola bars (8ct) for $.24 per box.
July’s Grocery Haul
As usual, you can watch/listen to our grocery haul, or just scan the list below!
- Cilantro $.48
- Raisins $2.68/lb x 1.31 lb = $3.51
- Nectarines $.88/lb x 3.53 lb = $3.11
- Roma tomatoes $.98/lb x 4.56 lb = $4.47
- Watermelon $.22/lb x 10.67 = $2.35
- Spaghetti sauce (can) $.88 x 4 = $3.52
- Spaghetti sauce (jar) $.98 x 2 = $1.96
- Bagels (1 dozen) $4.98
- Brownie mix $1.08 x 6 = $6.48
- Instant mashed potatoes $2.68
- Potatoes (10 lb) $2.48 x 2 = $4.96
- Apples $.98/lb x 10.62 = $10.41
- Marshmallows $.98
- Red seedless grapes $.98/lb x 4.71 = $4.61
- Celery $1.48
- Pretzels $1.88 x 2 = $3.76
- Tortilla chips $1.38 x 2 = $2.76
- Mini chocolate chips $2.68/lb x 2.56 lb = $6.86
- Bread $1.68 x 4 = $6.72
- Bread $1.78 x 9 = $16.02
- Hamburger buns $.85 x 2 = $1.70
Sam’s Club $217
- Cream cheese (6 bars) $7.87
- Ice Cream (1.25 gal) $5.48
- Pineapple Tidbits (107 oz) $4.78
- Natural Peanut Butter (2 x 40 oz @ $6.98) x 6 = $41.88
- Strawberry Jam (2 x 32oz @ $6.86) x 6 = $27.44
- 1% milk $2.20 x 3 = $6.60
- 2% milk $2.70
- Ground Beef 90/10 ~10lb $27.68
- Ground Beef 90/10 ~6 lb $16.76
- Cottage cheeese (3 lb) $4.98
- Sour cream (3 lb) $4.42
- Butter (2 x 4 lb @ $10.89) x 2 = $21.78
- Stir fry veggies $7.98
- Onions (10 lb) $4.22
- Sausage (2 lb) $5.42
- Bananas $1.23 x 6 = $7.38
- Cheddar cheese block (2 lb) $5.48
- Shredded cheddar cheese (5 lb) $10.86
- Spring mix $3.28
So our total spending on monthly grocery shopping was $311. That leaves just under $100 for mid-month shopping trips.
How about you?
- I would love to hear how your grocery shopping is different or similar!
- I would also love to hear what types of videos you’d like to see in the future.
Let's Do This Together!
We're banding together to pay off some serious debt in 2019! We want you to join in the debt-smashing fun!
When you subscribe, you'll get monthly reminders to report your progress and you'll see how we're doing as a group!
You'll also receive frugal inspiration and financial motivation in your inbox to help you along the way!
Are you ready to smash debt with us?!