Even though it felt like we didn’t have any food by the end of May, I didn’t go shopping until June 6th– nearly a whole week into June! When we were working to pay off our debt, I would play a game with myself to see how long I could put off doing our monthly grocery shopping. It yields results similar to a no-spend month because it forces you to eat from your pantry and food storage.
For me, it got me making homemade bread again! In case you were wondering if it’s cheaper to make homemade bread, you should check out the price comparison and cost breakdown that I did. My kids were thrilled because they love bread right out of the oven! And it fills them up more than store-bought bread does.
I also had a couple of gallons of milk in the freezer that I used at the end of May/beginning of June. We were eager to get some fresh produce though.
I bought a few things this month that I’ve never bought before! I also splurged on some treats I don’t usually get.
If you want to watch (or listen to) me walk through everything we got, check out the video below, otherwise keep reading for the complete grocery list!
Winco = $198
- Parmesan cheese $3.76/lb x .6 lb = $2.26
- Baby carrots (2 lb) $1.88 x 2 = $3.76
- Baby carrots (1 lb) $.98
- Potatoes (10 lb) $2.48
- Cucumbers $.48 x 4 = $1.92
- Strawberries $1.28 x 10 = $12.80
- Apples $.98/lb x 18.32 = $17.95
- Nectarines $.98 x 7.58 = $7.43
- Peaches $.98 x 4.25 = $4.17
- Flour tortillas $6.83
- Whole wheat tortillas $1.98 x = $5.94
- Bread $1.58 x 10 = $15.58
- Bagels (6 ct) $2.48 x 2 = $4.96
- Strawberry jam (17 oz) $3.30 x 2 = $6.60
- Peanut butter (Adams, 36 oz) $5.73 x 4 = $22.92
- Peanut butter (fresh ground) $1.67/lb x 2.72 = $4.54
- Peanut butter (honey roasted, fresh ground) $2.62/lb x 1.12 = $2.93
- Peanut butter (Winco) $2.68 x 2 = $5.36
- Baking soda $.54 x 2 = $1.08
- Sugar (10 lb) $4.77 x 2 = $9.54
- Powdered Sugar (1 lb) $.76
- Cooking spray $1.97
- Canola Oil (1 gal) $5.98
- Bean sprouts $1.28
- Kit Kat 6 pk $2.98
- Reese’s 6 pk $2.98
- Marshmallows $.98 x 2 = $1.96
- Little Debbie snacks $.98 x 4 = $4.92
- Pasta (16 oz) $.80 x 11 = $8.80
- Spaghetti sauce $.88 x 3 = $2.64
- Ginger .08 lb = $.39
- Mustard .08 lb = $.24
- Egg roll wrappers $1.48 x 3 = $4.44
- Sliced dried potatoes $2.33/lb x 2.64 = $6.15
- Black beans $.83/lb x 2.34 = $1.94
- Sliced almonds $4.85/lb x .17 = $.82
- Cream of wheat $1.24/lb x 4.75 = $5.89
- Graham crackers $1.48 x 3 = $4.44
- Yogurt $.32
Sam’s Club = $93
- Skim milk $1.80 x 2 = $3.60
- 1% milk $2.20 x 2 = $4.40
- Sour cream (3 lb) $3.89
- Cottage cheese (5 lb) $6.48
- Shredded cheddar (5 lb) $11.48
- Shredded cheese mix (5 lb) $10.98
- Spinach (16 oz) $3.79 x 2 = $7.58
- Spring mix (16 oz) $3.79 x 2 = $7.58
- Bananas (3 lb) $1.38 x 6 = $8.28
- String cheese (48 ct) $7.98
- Honey (5 lb) $14.98
- Tortilla chips $2.88 x 2 = $5.76
Sprouts = $12
- Cilantro $.50
- Red seedless grapes $.98/lb x 9.28 = $9.09
- Roma tomatoes $.77/ lb x 3.04 lb = $2.34
MONTHLY SHOPPING GRAND TOTAL = $303
We spent 75% of our grocery budget in our monthly grocery shopping trip. That leaves us $100 for the rest of the month to get milk, produce, or any great deals that come up.
Stay tuned for the Grocery Budget Crash Course!
I’m finishing up a new freebie for my email subscribers that I’m eager to share with you! It’s an email series all about lowering your grocery budget that includes lots of practical, actionable information and some printable resources as well!
It’s not quite finished, but I’m hoping to have it done soon!
If you’re interested in getting the Grocery Budget Crash Course in your inbox (it’s totally free), stay tuned and I will get an opt-in ready soont!
In the mean time, please send me any questions you have about lowering your grocery budget. Either leave a comment here or send me an email at sixfiguresunder AT gmail DOT com, so I can be sure to address your questions in the crash course!
Let's Do This Together!
We're banding together to pay off some serious debt in 2019! We want you to join in the debt-smashing fun!
When you subscribe, you'll get monthly reminders to report your progress and you'll see how we're doing as a group!
You'll also receive frugal inspiration and financial motivation in your inbox to help you along the way!
Are you ready to smash debt with us?!